26 March 2009

guest house






























i've been feeling a little tired and melancholy. maybe a late afternoon nap or brisk walk down by the river or these yellow beauties will help brighten this snowy overcast day. as i sit and watch out my window, i'm admiring the sun for her persistence in trying to break thru this dark cloud that has been my companion as of late.

this being human is a guest house
every morning a new arrival.
a joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
welcome and entertain them all!

even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
he may be clearing you out for some new delight.
the dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ rumi

4 comments:

Sarah said...

!
If I were stranded on an Island and could have one book, It would be a collection of Rumi's wisdom.

Sarah said...

And I had to post again to share with you my favorite bit from Rumi's poems on love.

"The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere, they're in each other all along."
-Rumi

Gretchen said...

I love Rumi- this poem, especially. And I love your beautiful ranunculus. Thank you for brightening my day, too!

xo,

g

Angela Bentley Fife said...

I love your photos so much.....Not that you need another career, but I love looking through your looking glass!